Something I love about being a student at BYU-I is the opportunities given to students. There are always events going on, and not only for the singles, but for the married students too.
Elder Bednar and his wife came to visit BYU-I this past week. That evening they did a "date night" with the married students in the Hart Gym. There, President Gilbert and his wife asked the Bednars a series of questions. We were able to learn from this apostle and his wife on a more personal level. I learned that their entire courtship was about a year and half -- not something that is common.
I learned about them struggling through school together, and then also their struggle as they furthered their education. Elder Bednar was getting his P.h.d, they had two children, and he just got called to be an early morning seminary teacher. There was a group of six working with this specific professor and the professor told Elder Bednar that his chances of completing this program while splitting his time between his family, religion, and his education was frankly impossible. They shared some stressful situations during this time and how they stayed connected even during the madness. In the end, Elder Bednar was the only one who earned his degree.
I learned about her as a mother. She talked about her pregnancies and how they made her incredibly ill. She talked about raising little ones and the craziness that goes into that. Elder Bednar specifically told the men and women that we need to be careful that we don't make our spouses fight for our attention. I can only imagine how difficult that gets the more children you have!
Then Elder Bednar stopped everything and said, "There is something that I have to tell you tonight. And I am going to be perfectly honest with you." He then went on to say that whatever our parents did to raise us, will NOT be enough to raise our children in this world. He told us that we will have to do more. Then he said, "Now, this should not scare you. That is not what I am trying to do."
When he was talking, I wanted to be afraid. I thought to myself, "What do you mean?" To be honest, I thought my parents did a fantastic job raising us in the gospel. But as I really thought and prayed about what he was saying, I felt peace and I knew he was right. What my parents did, although definitely praiseworthy, will not be enough anymore.
In January, (by some SERIOUS divine help), we started reading the Book of Mormon as a family. I use the word "read" really loosely because basically we are trapped in Porter's small bedroom and he is usually jumping around and screaming while Trent and I read him the scriptures. We follow an Instagram account called BofM365. Every day it gives you a section of scripture to read, and by the end of the year you will have read the entire Book of Mormon. It's the perfect reading size for Porter. And you know what is even crazier, it's a habit. Porter is 18 months, but he knows that right before bedtime he points to the scriptures and says, "Scriptures!" And then he knows that we do family prayer right after that. But I can feel in my heart that even that is not enough. And I need to exert every effort in defending, teaching, and raising my children with the help of the Lord.
Bednar also talked about having conversations with your children every day, and about the good, the bad, and the ugly. He also talked somewhat about PPI (personal priesthood interviews), and said if you haven't started this by three or four, you're starting too late. Another point was our kids need to know that they can come to us first when they sin, and then we (child and parent) can go to the Bishop together and use his keys and power to make things right. He said, "The church programs Primary, Young Womens, Young Mens, etc., are not your replacement and it is NOT their duty to teach your children for you."
He said this all much more powerfully and eloquently than I am writing it. But Trent and I were truly inspired when we left his presence. We had a really good discussion afterwards and this topic has been on my heart ever since. I knew I needed to write what I learned down so that I could come back to this post (as I do on occasion with my other ones), and reflect and renew my commitment to be a better parent with Trent.
Another apostle is coming to speak to my stake on Valentine's Day! I don't know which one yet, but I am excited to learn at his feet.
I think you just gave us our FHE topic, thanks :) I was shocked at the PPI age, that's so interesting, i guess its like anything else, you can never start too early!
I think you just gave us our FHE topic, thanks :) I was shocked at the PPI age, that's so interesting, i guess its like anything else, you can never start too early!
Wow. This sounds incredible. Thank you for posting! Please share about what you learn Valentine's Day!
ReplyDeleteI think you just gave us our FHE topic, thanks :) I was shocked at the PPI age, that's so interesting, i guess its like anything else, you can never start too early!
ReplyDeleteI think you just gave us our FHE topic, thanks :) I was shocked at the PPI age, that's so interesting, i guess its like anything else, you can never start too early!
ReplyDelete