So I am the "Emergency Prepardeness Assistant" in my ward. When I heard that I thought, "Alright... this is one of those callings that they give you to help feel a part of the ward and I probably wont have to do anything! I mean heck... I'll only be there for 2 months!" Oh was I wrong. Aparently, I was given the calling at just the right time because there was an Emergency Preparedness Fair coming up! And i was like... alright, alright. I got this. This will be fun. I'll just help run the booth with the leader.
Weeeellll a few days later, I call the leader and let her know I'm ready to help with anything! Wrong choice of words..... hahah. Apparently, someone had backed out of creating a booth and she needed me to fill in. She said it was such a blessing and a miracle that I had called.... great. How could I say no! She needed help! She said she would e-mail me the details. Now, let me add a few things.
1. I talked with her Wednesday night....
2. She e-mailed me the detials Thursday night, and I didnt get them till Friday after work... so around 6:30.
3. The Fair was Saturday.... A.K.A THE NEXT DAY.
Topic: Food Storage Recipes. Soooo... I thought I would be cool and make a recipe from food storage. Well two problems 1. we dont have food storage so of course I had to cheat. 2. Well.... we all know what happened when I tried to cook for the missionaries.... Disaster. Needless to say, cooking is an adventure at the Thompson home.
Here is a picture of how my Honey Cookies came out...
They were in little circle balls when i put then in the oven. SO... obviously that was a failure. Plan B: i decided I would make a cute little poster board and have recipes on it and then pass out recipes. But i was still having a little bit of a freak out and Trent ( being a boy who thinks everything in life is simple) was like "There's nothing you can do so just go to bed and bring what you have to the fair." So. i did what he said. Husbands know best right?
Yeah. Basically I wanted to cry. Handouts were gone in like 10 minutes so that was a mess. I seriously sat by myself for hours. The fair was from 9 - 2. TORTURE!! Trent was at his parents house helping build the Haunted House they do every year. He was suppose to be gone until 5 that day but he called me around 12 and said "Hey baby, I really feel like I'm suppose to be with you right now... where is this fair thing?" I DIDNT TEXT HIM ALL DAY! He had NO idea that I was so miserable there or anything. Thank goodness for tender mercies. When he walked him I started to tear up... i'll admit it. He just laughed!!! and made a joke and then I just felt all better. He took me out to lunch after and then we spent the whole day together. We dressed up as nerds that night for our ward halloween party!
FAIR DAY: I walk in and to my horror I have two long tables that I am suppose to fill. Like LONG tables. The LONG RECTANGULAR tables. And all i have is a poster board. ANd to make things worse I have Martha Stewart and Betty Crocker to the left of me teaching everyone "How to cook with wheat" and they have pasta, pancakes, and homemade bread and are doing mini classes with tons of handouts. And to the right of me, I have Grandma and Granpa who have been canning since they were in diapers. Seriously, their topic was Food Storage 101. They were like the go to people. And then there was my little display in between. Here is proof.
Lesson I Learned: 1. I hate emergency prepardeness fairs. 2. I am NOT prepared whatsoever and if there is a disaster me and trent will for surely perish. 3. Husbands make everything better.
No comments:
Post a Comment