Menu Nav

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

These Are a Few of My Favorite Things

Things are changing for the Thompson home.  The roles have switched and I am the provider while Trent is getting his education.  Something that I support full-heartedly.  This is all a huge change and change is still coming! It makes me think of my favorite things that are happening right now.  I always find myself saying, "When I graduate..."  "When Trent graduates..."  "When we get a house..."  "When... When... When..."  It's what I have said since I was twelve.  Always looking for the next thing. Driving, dating, and dances were always in my eye sight and mind.  And now I wish I would have spent more time with my siblings and slowed down.  I can't even tell you what I enjoyed when I was younger.  Boys? Dating?  I think that's it.  I know I did other things, but I couldn't tell you what.  So here is a post to my favorite things of now.  There is always something to look forward too, but there are so many great things that are happening now that I don't want to forget.
 
1. I love that I have a husband who doesn't believe in "his" jobs and "her" jobs.  This morning while I slept during the power outage, Trent folded the laundry, picked up the house, and did the dishes. I didn't have work today and could have easily done it.  Instead, he saw a need and simply did it.  I love that.
 
2. Our ward.  This ward is simply the best.  Seriously, all of us are poor.  All of us are trying to get through school, work, and some of us are raising children in the process.  But I have received 6 dinner invites in the last 3 weeks. I have had 2 dinner brought to my door in the last two weeks and every other day a treat is left at my door.  I feel like I have a sign on my head that says, "I am drowning... HELP ME!"  At first, I was embarrassed, but now I realize they are just listening to the Spirit and I am grateful for the overwhelming amount of love.
 
3.  Holding hands with Trent as we sleep.  I don't even know how this started, but Trent and I hold hands every time we fall asleep.  I noticed it today when we took a nap.  I don't even remember when it started, but I love it.
 
4. Taking naps whenever we please and just sleeping in general.
 
5. Teaching - I imagine it is somewhat like raising children.  I just want the best for them.  And sometimes I want to take their agency away and make the right choices for them.  Watching them fail and struggle is heartbreaking, but watching their triumphs is breathtaking.
 
6.  Friends - today our power was out and we were SO cold and bored.  I slept. Trent cleaned. Then we just entertained ourselves by doing silly things.  Finally, we decided we would go bug the Merrells down the way.  We walked in and they were wrapped in blankets playing Phase 10.  Of course we joined them. It was seriously so fun.  We just laughed the entire time.  And I won.
 
7. Trent being there any time I need him.  Yesterday was a rough day, I just sat and cried at my desk after school.  I called Trent hysterical around 2:30 and he was there moments later.  Although I look forward to him having a career, I love that he can be there for me at a moments notice.  Even if it is for something silly like a bad day.
 
8.  Tender mercies of the Lord.  I don't deserve them to be completely blunt and honest.  I have not been the best daughter lately.  But I am continually grateful for them. 
 
9.  Leaving when we want and going where we want.  For Thanksgiving, we stayed in Rexburg. And we just hopped into our car and we were gone for two hours exploring.  Strangely, we ended up at a cemetery. Slightly strange, I know.  But I am fascinated with cemeteries so I made Trent stop and I walked around it and tried to read all the head stones.  Life is so short. But the relationships we create here will last an eternity. 
 
10.   The past two and a half years strengthening our marriage.  Sometimes I swear we are one mind.  Sometimes I swear I don't know the man! But I swear, we could get through anything together {that's NOT a challenge Heavenly Father}! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment