Menu Nav

Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Life of a Child

I loved my college days at BYU-Idaho.  Would I go back tomorrow and do it again. Of course not.  I am so grateful that I have graduated school and have an actual career.  But the life lessons they incorporate at that school is priceless.  Something I have been thinking about is the impact we have on a child.  In this case, especially as a teacher.  I love the quote a professor, Linda Hawkes, gave me.  She said, "They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel."  My patience has been extremely thin lately.  It's not their fault.  It's mine.  They are so innocent, trusting, accepting, and forgiving.  And I am a perfectionist who wants each child to succeed and will make it happen at all costs. It's a strength and a vice... trust me.  Today was just one of those days. 
 
In the past two weeks, I have had 4 nightmares about school.  2 of the 4 have been about the students moving on to 5th grade.  I wake up every night with tears on my pillow.  It kills me to know my time with them is so limited.  I see their success and I just pray that every teacher will build upon those successes and not let them slip.  The other two have been about the students deciding that they hate me as a teacher because I am so mean and choosing a different teacher. Again, I wake up having cried in my sleep. But honestly, after a day like today, I would not be surprised if that happened.
 
Today after school I sat in my chair, exhausted.  I reflected on my day. I do this every day.  I think about every word I said to each student.  I cringed as I realized I was definitely not as patient, understanding, and loving as I should have been. I was quick to point out faults and areas of improvement and slow to recognize their small successes. 
 
Our time together is about 100 days or less. Then they will move on to another teacher and I will just be apart of their elementary school memories.  With such a short amount of time, how can I be anything but patient.  I think back to my teachers.  All I wanted from them is acceptance.  To be told I was good enough.  I didn't need them to point out my faults.  I got enough of that from my friends and others.  Regardless if it is your own child, a neighbor, primary kid, etc., YOU have the ability to affect their life.  I love the quote from Elder Holland that says, "Be kind... imperfect people are all that God has ever had to work with.  That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but he deals with it.  So should we." 
 
Here is to a little more patience, a little more love, and a little more understanding.  I love those children with all that my heart can handle.  And for the few short months I have to spend with them, I am going to make the most of it.
 
 

1 comment: