Menu Nav

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Mistakes

Before you read this, you need to watch this.
http://www.azfamily.com/Clip/11800530/raw-video-mom-who-forgot-her-baby-in-shopping-cart-tells-her-story
Most of my AZ friends have probably already seen it. And my heart. is. breaking. in. two.
It is all I can think about right now. 
Because in many ways, we are Cherish. 
When Porter first started walking, Trent had taken Porter to do yard work.  Trent went to put something away, and didn't realize how quick Porter had become with walking.  When he turned around, he could not find Porter.  He frantically went searching and found him in the middle of the road in our parking lot.  A car had seen him {and thankfully so, or they would have hit him}, and stopped.  Three seconds after they stopped, Trent swooshed in and picked him up. 
Thank goodness we didn't have social media ripping us to shreds over that.
Or how about the time I was talking to our maintenance crew and Trent was talking to a tenant.  Each of us thought the other was watching Porter.  I felt the urge to make sure he was okay when I realized neither of us knew where he was.  Sheer panic set in both of us as we searched around the complex.  Faintly, I could hear a heavy breathing/panting.  I soon found our little guy up THREE flights of stairs.  These are outside, cement stairs that would have hurt him badly if he would have fallen.  
I mean it. I am Cherish. 
But in the end, our mistakes are few, and our success are plenty.  I believe the same could be said about this woman.  
Now, I know that leaving your baby for 40 minutes is pretty serious. BUT TO GO TO JAIL? TO TAKE HER KIDS FROM HER? You are out of your mind. 
I promise you I will be writing a letter on Sunday as one of our family activities.
In a way, I feel like this is an attack on Motherhood.  A woman on the support group wrote it so eloquently, I have to share:
"I've thought about why I feel so passionate about this movement and supporting this woman whom I've never met, and I realize that if The Maricopa County Sheriffs Office convicts Cherish for her mistake then, in a way, they're casting a stone at motherhood and the unfortunate but real mistakes that we face and fight tooth and nail to avoid every day. We spend 24/7 making sure our babies are breathing, safe, happy, growing, and loved. It is exhausting and wonderful. To have any one of our mistakes blown up for the public to scrutinize and judge feels like a disrespect and shrug to what we dedicate our entire lives to. I'm glad we have checks and balances to keep our communities safe but I hope that this county makes the decision to support its mothers who are raising their future citizens the very best they can."
Does something need to happen? No. I am positive that the amount of guilt on that mother is far greater than any punishment you could give her.  But if something must be done to meet the demands of justice, it does not need to be so harshly.
I too, stand with Cherish.  Bless her and her family.  It was a very grave mistake, but angels were watching over her baby.  And for that, I think we all are grateful. 
  
 photo Siggy_zpsd77506dc.png

No comments:

Post a Comment