Menu Nav

Friday, August 28, 2015

Clean vs. Sterile

Life changing moment: A little boy moved into our ward who is 15 months old! HALLELUJAH! I am so stinking excited.  Now, my child is not the only disrupting Sunday School and Relief Society.  There is a dynamic duo and they are doing a fantastic job. I can't wait to start play dates!

Right before our cruise (so about three weeks ago), I went in to renew my temple recommend.  I cherish that thing. I know exactly when it will expire and exactly where it is at all times.  The interview went smoothly, and it was renewed.  Fast forward to the end of an amazing cruise.  As we were walking off the ship, I made sure I had everything, debit/credit cards, drivers license, temple recommend. etc., and everything was there, but my temple recommend.

Now, I sweeeaaarrr it was stolen! But I guess it could have also fell out somehow? I mean, there are so many possibilities. But I was heartbroken, embarrassed, and freaking out because I was not carrying around a temple recommend. You never know when you are going to whip those things out.

I searched for a week, nothing happened.

So I had to face my bishop and stake presidency {again}, and tell them my situation.  Luckily, I didn't meet with the same member of the stake presidency.  I met with President Harper this time around.  Again, we went through the whole interview process.  At the end, he started talking about how if we are worthy for a temple recommend, we are worthy to live with God again {basically}.  I told him how that gave me comfort when I felt like I wasn't doing my best.  As long as I could answer those questions truthfully, I was okay.  He was quiet for awhile.  Then he said, "You struggle with that, don't you?  Being too hard on yourself and being a perfectionist."  

I literally felt the walls falling down in my mind and my heart that second.  What had started as a quick, normal interview had turned into something much more personal. And I lost it. I bawled.

He handed me the tissues, and we talked about the difference between clean and sterile. Sterile is wiped of all contamination while clean is just free of most contamination.  He told me the Lord was not asking me to be sterile.  He was asking me to be clean, and worthy.  I know that I can achieve that through the atonement.

I really am grateful for that interview. For the privilege to be reminded of an important gospel principle.


 photo Siggy_zpsd77506dc.png

3 comments:

  1. Aren't you kind of grateful you had to do the interview over again? That's neat you had that experience. I have always loved that quote and continue to live by it daily. People always ask why I am still trying to finish school when I have so much on my plate---but it's just my way of improving mentally and challenging my mind in a structured way. I can't wait to hear how this school year is going for you! You're the best there is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Chels. Love Pres. Harper too! I've never thought about it that way, I really appreciate the insight. We are always told to strive for perfection (like unto Christ) but we forget it's not attainable in our state of being. But like that quote says, that doesn't stop us from learning from our mistakes and experiences and constantly improving ourselves.I know few people who are as conscious about their spiritual progression as you! I think you're on the right track my dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chelsea! I love reading your posts. Miss you and your cute little family!

    ReplyDelete