Menu Nav

Friday, August 14, 2015

I Should Be Doing Dishes

But I really, really, really don't want to.  

I use to find so much joy in housework.  When it was just Trent and myself, the house was usually kept in good condition.  Now, it is a constant tornado and it is making it more discouraging to keep it in order.  Literally, Porter's favorite thing is to take everything out.  He loves emptying all the cupboards, and all of his toys, and his drawers, and the bins, and the baskets.  It is his favorite thing. He truly is Wreck-it-Ralph.

We registered Trent for the GRE.  He is taking it October 5th.  That seems like forever away.  But in reality, it is less than two months.  When we get that score, we plan on applying to ASU, BYU, and Texas A&M.  Our first choice is ASU.  I feel pretty confident that I could find a teaching job there. (I keep telling myself, only one more year.  But that "one more year" has yet to happen.) It also might be easier finding someone to watch Porter because of our connections.  But in reality, we will go wherever we get a scholarship.

Also, Trent started a new business. I told that to a co-worker and she said, "Of course! Because teaching, Porter, managing apartments, bishopric, and engineering isn't enough."  I laughed out loud at that one because she was right.   But it has been going pretty well.  Everyday, someone new is interested and that is exciting for him.  And he is super adorable when he is that excited.

I officially go back to work on Thursday.  I have had to go back to work for a few days during the summer for some mandatory meetings, but it officially begins Thursday.  This is my last year at Adams Elementary and if I speak it, I will sob.  I wish with all my might they had a Master's program here at BYU-I.  I do not want to leave this place.  Trent is ready to move out and move on, but I am more apart of the community than he is.  He is part of that tough, college atmosphere. I see the community aspect of Rexburg.  I get to experience the services the community provide, the way the educational system is run, and the people.  Rexburg is a unique place and I love it. Also, I could not have a better boss or co-workers.  We are a family.  We do parties together, our children play together, we cry together (lots of crying), we laugh together (lots and lots of laughter), we are comrades.

But Porter is still my number one.  My end goal. But let me tell you.  I got a taste of toddler motherhood over the summer and it makes me want to give him away for someone else to raise.

In my opinion, being a working mom is much easier than being a full-time mom.  I have experienced both and they are both hard in their own ways.  I mean teaching?! THAT is hard. Seriously. But being a mother means no breaks, little adult interaction, keeping up with the household chores, meals, meshing three different schedules, discipline, stimulation, etc. 
It can be overwhelming to say the least.

Overall, the Thompson's are happy.  Our apartment still doesn't feel like home for some reason, but we are working on fixing our attitudes and adding some touches. Trent and I have started going on dates recently, and it has changed our marriage.  Actually, the cruise changed our marriage, but the dates have kept us going strong.  Porter has been a little crazy, tantrum throwing, yelling, unsettling child lately. But hey, we will still claim him.  He has some redeeming qualities too.

I just love keeping this journal.  I love sharing my life with others.  The good, the bad, and the ugly.  I love reading others experiences.  I love feeling connected with others and reading their advice and encouraging words.  Or even if it's not always encouraging. Some days are good, and some days you are just trying to make it through.  But we are each doing something important. I really believe that.

 photo Siggy_zpsd77506dc.png

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you blog, seriously, never stop! I get so much from your posts and LOVE hearing about all the adventures you're going through. Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of Texas, because Brandon found a residency he might do in Austin which is less than 2 hours away! Buuuuut I know that's not your biggest reason to go there... it would still be awesome!

    ReplyDelete