Remember how two posts ago I was so excited and giddy and proud of all of us. Lately, I have been thinking, "We are going to make it. This chapter is closing and we really did it."
Maybe I was getting a little too optimistic and a little too proud. I mean, we live thousands of miles from our families and we were still able to pay for school, build a foundation for our family, take care of ourselves AND Porter, and we did almost all of it on our own." See what I mean? A little too proud.
Porter was acting lethargic Friday afternoon when I went to pick him up from Trent. After his afternoon nap, he still wasn't his normal self. I thought, "What a blessing. He is sick on the weekend so I can nurse him back to health and by Monday everything will be perfect." Well, I did try to nurse him back to health. But by Monday, things were worse. So Trent had to miss class and take him to the doctor. A double ear infection with strep throat. Perfect.
Trent was a star. He really stepped up to the plate that Monday. I was feeling really crummy on Sunday and Monday. So he tried his best to do everything. I love him.
I thought because he had some antibiotics in his system Tuesday night would be better, but it was actually the worse. He was woke up at three and would not go back to bed. Porter tried to rest, but he was coughing, crying, and miserable.
Trent and I tried e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. I was feeling even more crummy than before, probably from the lack of sleep. But at 6:30, I quietly got up, got ready, went to the store and got some Popsicles for Porter, brought them back to our house, and headed to work. I was basically a zombie that day. Sorry, children.
Trent had class that day, so I had to call in some favors and get someone to watch Porter for three hours. It was a mess. Luckily, Trent's cousin is basically an angel.
Today (Wednesday), I woke up and Trent and I were just sick as dogs. I still planned on going into work. So, I started going through names on our phone. I was trying to find someone who could watch Porter while Trent got some sleep and tried to recover. By today, Porter was doing fine, but his parents were a mess. I just wanted to cry. This is the hardest part of working, especially teaching. You can't just call in sick. You have to find someone (I called 25 people between 7:20-8:00 a.m.), and then you have to plan for the entire day. It's a joke. Honestly.
As I am scrolling through names, my heart was sinking. There just wasn't a lot of options. People are in school, have babies, and with Porter still on antibiotics I didn't want to risk getting someone else's children sick. I finally decided to call a sub and have them come in later in the morning, about two hours after school had started. That would make it so I could plan less, but also come home around 9:30 or 10 and take care of Trent and Porter and rest myself.
On the way back from work, I stopped by Urgent Care. Turns out I had strep throat too. I picked up Porter, went to Walmart, picked up my prescription and some soup, and relaxed the rest of today,
Daniel Tiger has been on CONSTANTLY since Saturday. Seriously. We have possibly been through an entire season and a half since then. Today was the least amount of time he has watched it, and that was 2 hours. Let's like triple that time and that has been us every day this week. All day today Porter has been begging to watch Daniel Tiger. Trent and I have started a TV detox. He is seriously hooked on this show. Starting next week, we are going to have to completely cut him off and slowly bring it back in. It's been an addiction.
Moving to AZ has been somewhat interesting idea. I just didn't think we would move there so quickly. I thought we would go somewhere more East or South. However, after this week, I feel grateful that we will be closer to family. And to be honest, Trent and I could not have come this far without so many friends helping us. I wanted to hug Trent's cousin when she said she could watch Porter. Dallas brought us juice. And we have been so lucky to find people in the ward to watch Porter while Trent does his classes. We could not have come this far if it wasn't for the selflessness of so many people. And I really am grateful for that.
Yuck! Feel better Thompson family! Ear infections are the worst because they can manifest themselves in so many different ways, and to have strep on top of that...whew, lets hope this is all of this years sicknesses rolled into one! Rexburg is such a beautiful little family unit, but ACTUAL family is going to be so awesome. Get better and get down here!
Yuck! Feel better Thompson family! Ear infections are the worst because they can manifest themselves in so many different ways, and to have strep on top of that...whew, lets hope this is all of this years sicknesses rolled into one! Rexburg is such a beautiful little family unit, but ACTUAL family is going to be so awesome. Get better and get down here!
ReplyDelete