Menu Nav

Friday, November 13, 2015

It's The Holiday Season!

I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am for the Holidays.  Halloween Porter and I were pretty sick, so we are glad that's over. And plus. I really don't love Halloween, at all. But it's the beginning of my favorite time of year, so I'll take it. 

I am finding out the gender the day before Thanksgiving. I had originally called and tried to schedule an appointment, but they were booked past Thanksgiving and pretty well into December.  I was so bummed!  I called back a week later to just make an appointment whenever they could fit me in, and they said they had just opened up their ultrasound tech's schedule because they were so packed! Hallelujah! So the first available appointment was the day before Thanksgiving. Done.  I am sending a package to both sets of grandparents with two boxes that say #1 and #2.  In one of them, there will be something representing a girl, and the other something representing a boy.  I am going to call them on Thanksgiving Day and tell them which box to open.  That way it can still be a cute surprise for them like I had originally planned. 

Also. I have already started Christmas shopping.  Well, I have for Porter.  The Scholastic Book Fair was at our school this week.  And it took everything in me to not buy all the books.  He is such an avid reader and my teacher heart cannot turn him down when he picks up a book and wants me to read it.  We currently have Brown Bear Brown Bear, Llama Llama Time to Share, and What Do Dinosaurs Say When They're Mad completely memorized.  We are close with Paw Patrol, Spot, and Biscuit at the Pumpkin Patch.  Those are just our current favorites.  We have a whole heck of a lot more that are very used, and very damaged!  But I don't mind because he really is trying to read them, not just destroy them! 

Anyways, in Luke 2:24 it says, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man." Obviously, our goal is this family is to become Christlike.  Therefore, we try to grow and become like him!  So every Christmas (well since last year when we started this tradition), we have decided that each member of the family gets four gifts.  One of the gifts must help them grow in wisdom.  For Porter, I got him a book about trains and colors to help him learn.  Another gift must deal with stature.  For me, I am getting maternity clothes because my stature is definitely changing over the next couple of months and I need to have dressy clothes for work! The next is favour with God.  Last year, I got the book Woman and the Priesthood and basically devoured that thing.  It had so many wonderful insights and I definitely felt closer to God. This year, I might do something that involves developing a talent or hobby.  I really feel like the Lord wants me to use my talents more effectively to help others this next year. So with that concept, it is basically anything that will bring you closer to God.  We also do a family gift every year.  This year we are focusing on favor with God.  We are hoping to purchase a large canvas of a Reflections of Christ photo for our home. Finally, the usual favorite, favour with man.  This can be anything you want.  Trent is debating on getting the iwatch for that gift.  Mine will definitely be make-up from Sephora.  

I love this little tradition of ours.  It helps us stay focused on things that matter most. 

This year I am holding out for a real Christmas Tree.  However, I want to start decorating it now!! But none of the Christmas Tree Farms are running yet.  I might cave and get a fake one.  But that fresh pine smell in your home while it is snowing outside.  There is nothing better.  This is actually our first year of even getting a tree.  I have a been a scrooge in the past and said, "Who cares. We go home for Christmas anyway!" And while that's true, this year we have sweet Porter who needs to see those traditions in HIS home. Not just in Grandma and Grandpa's home. 

'Tis the season! I can't wait!
 photo Siggy_zpsd77506dc.png

1 comment:

  1. HOLD OUT FOR THE REAL TREE! You wont regret it! And i must say, I'm very excited to see all your talents come alive in 2016, you have so much to offer!

    ReplyDelete