Welp. Trent got a job offer that he is super excited about. It is with a FANTASTIC company that Trent really loves and respects.
It's just funny because it wasn't in our plans. When Trent and I talked about graduating, grad school was the usual topic. We were always 80% sure we were going to go to grad school. After I got pregnant, it dropped down to 50% sure. I could tell Trent was feeling the pressure and desire to start providing for his family. But I would rather keep this "sacrifice and save" mentality that we are already in, then go make money and then have to come back to school. Please. No. Plus, we have no debt right now. So grad school will be our only debt which is pretty good. But would a Masters really be necessary? Another hard question that we were trying to figure out. We had to think of what was Trent's career plan and what education would be necessary. Choices, people.
So BYU and BYU-I both hold career fairs where companies and Master schools come and recruit. Trent missed the Utah one because of me... and then ended up missing the BYU-I one because of me. We were really bummed because we wanted him to talk to a few schools about how to get his Master's degree paid for. On Thursday night, Trent left to go see what would be left in the career fair... and come home with an interview set up for a company that he loved. Seriously. He could not stop talking about his company. His only hang up was it is a construction company and he is a Civil Engineer. So, in some ways, he is a little overqualified for the job. But the company sees him as a huge asset because he knows so much, which is great. So after he talked to family and a few friends who knew the industry, he decided to go for it.
Well, he absolutely rocked the interview the next day, Friday. So out of all the young men who interviewed (which interviews were from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 with 15 minute interviews for the ENTIRE DAY - so A LOT of guys wanted this job), the guys asked Trent if he and I could meet them for dinner that night. Of course we agreed and we all went to dinner at a fantastic steakhouse. We were able to talk about the job more extensively. They told Trent that he would be flying down to AZ for a second interview. They would pay for everything (flight, food, hotel, etc.), and the second interview would be in two weeks. 22 other guys from all across the nation (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Kansas, Alabama, etc.) from different universities would be there to interview also. The schools that these guys were coming from were pretty competitive. So I was a little worried. But Trent is a pretty confident guy. He flew down, went to dinner and had a blast with the company. He felt like he rocked the interview, and he must have because yesterday we were sent a job offer from the company. If we say yes, we will be headed to ???? on June 6th. I put ???? because when they sent us the job offer they said the location was to be announced. That is a little hard for me to swallow. I would like to know where I am going. This company is HUGE. They have locations from Cali to Maine and over in Israel. We could really be anywhere. We thought that because he interviewed in AZ that is where we would be sent, and that is most likely, just not 100% certain. Also, it could be anywhere in Arizona. We heard there are some job sites that are close to the Mexico, Arizona, California border. It is very likely that in May they tell us we are headed down there. So the unknown scares me a tad. Especially because I will have a four week old baby and a toddler. I need a support system to say the least.
But then there are things about this company that you can't put a price on. For example, Trent loves the guys he would be working with. He had SO much fun with all of them in AZ. He also loves that he will be in the office, but also at the site seeing these creations come to life and being apart of it. The company has amazing benefits you can't beat and they take very, very, very good care of their employees. They do company events where everyone in that location goes to a NFL game, or whatever sport is happening. They pay for our entire relocation cost. And every move after that, they pay a moving company to pack, move, and unpack everything for me, every time. So that takes a lot of stress of moving. It's those small details (and trust me there is a whole list of other great benefits like their AMAZING health insurance that they pay for us and doesn't come from our paycheck), that make it a great opportunity.
We just learned about the offer yesterday so we haven't had a whole lot of time to talk about it. But I am so excited for Trent. This company is amazing and I will gladly follow him wherever to help him reach his goals.
So so so so so so exciting, any offer is great but this sounds amazing! I know its so crazy to think that you might not know where you'll be but what an adventure!
So so so so so so exciting, any offer is great but this sounds amazing! I know its so crazy to think that you might not know where you'll be but what an adventure!
ReplyDelete