Well, Trent is back from his trip to Calexico! And the town of Imperial just gained a new family as residents!
I trust my husband probably more than I trust myself. Trent is logical. He sees things for how they are. He is neither cautious, nor spontaneous. He had a football game last Saturday. Its for a local league that a bunch of young/middle age men play in. It is flag football, so it's nothing crazy. However, his insurance just ended and we are in the process of switching him over to mine. On Saturday morning, he reminded me he had a double header that evening. I voiced to him my concern about playing without insurance. I think most men would brush the concern off. I mean, the chances of him doing some major damage to his body in this local flag football game it pretty unlikely. But instead, he agreed. If something was to happen while he was playing this game, we would be screwed. Seriously. Goodbye our entire savings and then some. So he didn't go. The logic behind it made sense to him. Don't put yourself in a situation where you could get hurt if you don't have insurance. And that is just one, super small situation in a host of other situations that have really made me come to trust him.
So although I didn't go down to the Imperial Valley, I really did feel confident sending Trent. And honestly, he said it wasn't awful as we expected it to be. It's very similar to how we are living now. It's a rural area for sure, nothing like Phoenix. But like an IF or a Queen Creek. Where we are living is like Queen Creek with its shopping center {the one with Target, DownEast, Tillys, etc.}, and El Centro is like an IF with an actual shopping center, Costco, and other things. The two towns are about 10-15 minutes apart. Then you have Calexico, which is where Trent works, which is another 10-15 minutes apart from El Centro.
Safety was a large concern for us, but as he interviewed people (the guys he works with, the guy at the front desk of the hotel, people in stores) and they all said Imperial was the safest place. So he headed to Imperial to locate us a rental house. And he did! He found a cute little 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house, which is perfect for us! My number one requirement was a backyard and a front yard with grass for the kids to play. Honestly, it's a lot harder to come by then you think! But this house had it! A lot of our neighbors are border patrol/policemen. The border patrol office is actually two blocks from our house. So Trent felt great about the property and the area.
A lot of people wonder why we didn't take another route or option. We had a plan A,B,C, & D. And ALL of them fell through as soon as we heard about our location. So when we were thinking about if this was really right for us, we really didn't have anywhere else to consider! Crazy enough, I think we are suppose to be there. So we are moving to California on a lot of faith, kinda like when we moved to Rexburg. Trent is excited as ever to start with this company. He said that he wished he could have started right then and there.
We are hoping to hear back about our background check within a week and then sign the contract for that little property shortly after. We are four weeks away from moving, and I want to cry when I think about all the things that need to happen. Baby. Wrapping up school. Packing. There are so many loose ends that I might just loose it.
I just need to breathe and take things a day at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment