By this time last pregnancy, we already had little Porter's name picked out, I think?
But we are struggling with this one.
I really, REALLY hate picking out boy names. I have had my girl name picked out since the time Porter was conceived. Taylee Jane Thompson. She can go by Taylee. She can go by Janie. I don't really care. I just love every part of her name. {And watch, I will NEVER get a girl!}
But boy names. I can't figure out a style. I didn't even like the name Porter for the looongest time, but Trent wore me down. I hate abstract boy names. I hate boy names that are too popular. And I hate boy names that are too plain. So where does that leave me? With no names. Anyways, here is what we have so far as a list and why I can't commit to any of them.
Wyatt: This is Trent's number one name. He wants our kid to be named after the famous wild cowboy Wyatt Herp. No thank you. It is not an awful name, but Wyatt Duke Thompson sounds a little too rough for me.
Levi: I am half committed to this one I like reason of why we would name him Levi, but not so much the actual name. We got the name from Levi Savage. Since Porter is named from Porter Rockwell, we thought we would continue with a tradition of unsung heroes from the early restoration of the church. The men who might not be as famous like Joseph Smith, but were still influential men of God.
Cooper: I love the name Cooper for a little kid. It just gets me every time. But when I think of a businessman/adult filling out paperwork and resumes with the name Cooper, I can't see it. I still picture this little kid.
Jett: Trent wants to name him Jeeter {as in Derek Jeeter the athlete -NEVER} but then call him Jett. We will never NEVER name him Jeeter. But. I do like the name Jett. I have a little boy in my class named Jett right now. And I struggle with that. He is a super cute little boy, but I don't like using names of kids that I have taught - so there goes 65 names out the window.
Brooks: This is my favorite. I love the name Brooks. I heard is somewhere when we were naming Porter and liked it. But I was just reacquainted with it while searching for baby names on a western site. When I started saying the name as a possibility -- everyone started mentioning Brooks from the Bachelor. I. HATE. THE. BACHELOR. Which jogged my memory that Brooks was the mission companion of Chad, who told me that name the first time with Porter. So I am a little disheartened. Brooks Duke Thompson sounds cute to me, but they are all kinda last names.
So. If I had to make a decision right now, I think we would go with Jett. Trent and I both like it, so it's a good compromise. But I still might fight for Brooks?
PEOPLE WHO READ THIS BLOG PLEASE HELP ME! Thoughts? Suggestions?
Haha naming is the worst! I wanted Faye, Brandon wanted Cora and absolutely would NOT back down. So in the delivery room I said "Cora Faye" (I should have said Faye first because Brandon could NOT say no when I had just given birth hahah)... and it stuck! I like Jett! And Brooks. AND Levi. See I'm no help. But Levi is one of the names from the Bible I like. And I like the idea of themes, like the unsung church heroes.
Gosh, you guys have some awesome options! I love Levi, it's a lot less common and classic, but i also LOVE Cooper! Cooper Duke has a great ring to it...but I still think you should go with Wyatt "the rock" Thompson. "the ______" is always a strong choice. ;)
what about the name "Ames"? we remember you telling us that name a long time ago. we will probably always have girls, even though we have a boy's name already picked out! i feel your pain.
I like Jett! It sounds unique but not way out there. I have a hard time with names too. Girls usually came so easy for us but when it came to Daniel it was hard to settle on a middle name. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be cute, whatever it is :)
Haha naming is the worst! I wanted Faye, Brandon wanted Cora and absolutely would NOT back down. So in the delivery room I said "Cora Faye" (I should have said Faye first because Brandon could NOT say no when I had just given birth hahah)... and it stuck!
ReplyDeleteI like Jett! And Brooks. AND Levi. See I'm no help. But Levi is one of the names from the Bible I like. And I like the idea of themes, like the unsung church heroes.
We love Brooks! So that's my vote :)
ReplyDeleteGosh, you guys have some awesome options! I love Levi, it's a lot less common and classic, but i also LOVE Cooper! Cooper Duke has a great ring to it...but I still think you should go with Wyatt "the rock" Thompson. "the ______" is always a strong choice. ;)
ReplyDeletewhat about the name "Ames"? we remember you telling us that name a long time ago. we will probably always have girls, even though we have a boy's name already picked out! i feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteI like Jett! It sounds unique but not way out there. I have a hard time with names too. Girls usually came so easy for us but when it came to Daniel it was hard to settle on a middle name. Good luck! I'm sure it'll be cute, whatever it is :)
ReplyDelete