I did it. I graduated from Brigham Young University - Idaho with my Bachelors of Science in Elementary Education. And I graduated at top 10% of the entire graduating class meaning I receive Cum Laude Honors. Probably one of my top five favorite memories of my LIFE. I always knew I wanted to be a teacher. Seriously, since like 3rd grade. Throughout high school I did tutoring for small children, swim lessons, and piano lessons. It just solidified my desire in becoming a teacher. I knew I would have to go to college to fulfill that dream. So it was an easy decision for me to take classes at the local community college during the summers in high school.
What I didn't plan was to get married. But even that became a blessing in disguise. I looked at Trent and said, "You put me through school and I will put you through school." And he kept his end of the deal. And here I am. Twenty years old and done with college.
The department ceremony was my favorite part. Trent was so proud of me. Goodness, it made me feel good. I will never forget how we followed me on video everywhere. As I walked to get my diploma, he was right there recording it all {even though he wasn't suppose to... oops!} It was borderline embarrassing. Like those moments when you mom follows you into your third grade classroom and takes pictures of you putting supplies in your desk and sitting in your new classroom while the teacher is talking. Oh...wait, that didn't happen to you? Anyways, that is exactly how Trent acted. I'll return the favor when it is his turn.
My parents were also there. My mom had to go back to work during my Sophomore year of high school. She hated it. Mostly because she would see people surpass her and receive promotions because they had a degree. I mean, these people had degrees in Zoology - that has nothing to do with Bank of America or finances?! But, nevertheless, it was a degree. She made me vow when I got married that I would get my education. She had to work outside the home doing something she hated for four years. And she just didn't want the same thing for her daughter.
Hopefully, after the next year or so, I will not have to work to provide for the family. But, I am prepared. And I will be doing something I love.
So here is to all those late night study sessions, procrastinated papers, 18-21 credit semesters, awesome faculty, incredible classmates, and desperately needed scholarships. We {Mom, Dad, Trent, Rita, Kent, and I} did it. I could not have done it without your support.
Note to Future Self: You will have your Masters Degree within 10 years. Get it done!
No comments:
Post a Comment