Valentines Day was yesterday. So you know what is coming... a mushy gushy post. I know weird. This blog is totally not like that, right (Let's just pretend I am not so sappy ALL the time- or better yet, we will just blame them on the pregnancy hormones)?! When we were first married, Trent had to spoil me for every holiday. Even for little things like St. Patrick's Day I expected something. It all goes back to that trying to prove something. Remember the end of my last post? I wanted to be like... "Well, my husband bought me Tiffanys or whatever it was that year." Want to know how bad it was? Flashback.
It was our first Mother's Day together as a married couple. I remember dropping hints to Trent of the things he could possibly give me for Mother's Day and I would always end the conversation with, "But whether you get me something or not, it's no big deal."
Lies.
I knew he wasn't taking me seriously. But I thought for sure he would at least buy me a single red rose or something. Anything. Well Mother's Day rolls around and I wake up fully expecting something. And guess what, nothing happens. Finally, I turn to him and ask for my Mother's Day present.
Bold move.
He looks at me strangely and uttered the phrase, "But your not a mother?"
You would have thought he told me he cheated on me. I instantly fumed and cried and yelled something like,
"Well, by the way your acting I guess I'll never be!"
"Well, by the way your acting I guess I'll never be!"
What did that even mean?
Anyways, we fought. It was pretty ugly. All because I thought I was entitled to a gift since it was a holiday. I ended up sitting on the bedroom floor with my back against the door so Trent could not come in (our doors do not have locks on them).
Anyways, we fought. It was pretty ugly. All because I thought I was entitled to a gift since it was a holiday. I ended up sitting on the bedroom floor with my back against the door so Trent could not come in (our doors do not have locks on them).
You know, like something a two-year old would do.
I cried and cried and cried and cried. For awhile, it was silent in the living room where Trent was. Then I heard a slight commotion, but I fell asleep shortly after, still lying next to the door.
I remember waking up and smelling something. But I just thought Trent had made himself dinner so I climbed in bed and just laid there for another 45 minutes or so. Finally, Trent came in the bedroom. He asked me to come outside so he could show me something. It took some persuasion. Finally, I reluctantly got out of bed and followed him. In the refrigerator was a homemade (from a box) strawberry cake, with frosting melted all over and a sweet homemade card on the counter. He thought you were suppose to put the frosting on the cake the minute it came out of the oven. So the frosting had just melted completely and it looked like a mess. I laughed, and cried, and fell a little deeper in love.
I will never forget that day.
Trent taught me a lesson in the most beautiful way.
I promise I am better now. I do not expect gifts for every holiday and looking back I have to laugh because I have grown up SO much these past 2 years with Trent.
Anyways, I was going to talk about Valentines Day, but somehow that came out instead. I am seriously the tangent queen. The point was that for this Valentines Day I told Trent not to get me ANYTHING. And I meant it! We are saving for a baby, his schooling, and emergencies that I am sure will come up. And things are just tight right now. Which I promise is okay. It's not unbearable, just the tight where you need to be careful with your spending. But Trent is a sweetheart (and he might have been thinking back to Mothers Day) so he made sure I was not disappointed.
Here was his speech yesterday (someone edited because it was super sentimental and intimate).
If I had my way, I would shower you with Tiffanys and everything in life you could possibly want. Every day I try to do something that will make you happy. But I knew we couldn't afford all those nice things right now. So I have been thinking all week what I could give to you. Something meaningful. Something you would love.
He then proceeded to hand me a wrapped gift. I knew it was a picture frame and I thought for sure it was a picture to put on my desk which I would have loved. But inside the frame was a certificate.
He had bought me a star?!? Like a real star, from the sky?
He had named it after me and everything. It is part of the constellation Lynx and it goes into a book of stars. Also, they send me a poster with the location of my star circled in the sky. It's signed by some official astronomer and Trent. On the certificate it has the exact location so we can download the app and find my exact star. I also love that its part of a constellation because it makes it WAY easier to find.
On the certificate it says some astronomer stuff that I don't really understand. Then, that the star is named Chelsea Thompson and underneath a sweet message from Trent which made me cry.
It wasn't an expensive thing. And I am sure it is more common than I realize. But he put SO much thought into this gift. He was inspired to do it after A Walk to Remember, one of my favorite movies ever. When he buys her a star in the sky.
Longest. Post. Ever.
No comments:
Post a Comment