I prayed so hard that Porter would come early. I prayed every morning and night for three weeks for one thing... that today would be the day. Of course, at the end of the prayer I would say, "but thy will be done," or "if it be thy will." But of course, I didn't really mean that phrase. I just said it because I thought if I included it in the prayer, Heavenly Father would grant me an early delivery because I asked so nicely.
For nine months I told my mother that most likely she would miss the delivery. I mean, Allegiant flies two days out of the week. I also felt very strongly that he would come early (which he did...barely). So I prepared her and I for a worst case scenario. I probably hurt her feelings. But I really didn't mean too.
A couple days after Porter was born, I was thinking about my mom. All I can say is I am so grateful Heavenly Father didn't listen to me. My family came to visit the evening of July 2nd. The next day I was having contractions that evening. Then Porter was born July 4th. My mother stayed for one week while the rest of my family drove back to Arizona. I could not have survived the first week of postpartum without my mother. With Porter's jaundice and my recovery, I was a mess. A huge mess. Multiple times that week Trent said, "I am so glad your mom's here. We couldn't do it without her." He was right. And Heavenly Father was right. Heavenly Father knew I would need my mom. I cried halfway through the week when I knew she would be leaving soon. I probably cried for an hour. Then when she left, I sat and cried while I held my baby and realized that I have never loved her more.
And let's not forget my angelic mother-in-law. Seriously. How did I get so lucky? I am positive that I have the best mother-in-law. She came right after my mom and has served us continuously. She makes laundry, dishes, and all the other mundane tasks seem like a privilege. Which we all know there are definitely not.
Goodness. What would we do without these wonderful women in our lives.
Mothers are such a blessing! I never realized how much my mom loved me until I became one. :) Always love your posts, Chelsea.
ReplyDelete~Anna