Menu Nav

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Apparently Those Who Can't.... Teach.

 
Have you ever heard of that saying, "Those who can do, and those who can't, teach?"  Well, I have NEVER heard that phrase in my life until about two weeks ago.  We were watching T.V. and a character said that exact phrase. Mr. Thompson immediately turned his head to see my reaction. And well, you would have thought someone had purposely killed my favorite pet.  I was so offended.  It didn't help that the pregnancy hormones kicked into over drive. After the Mr. finally settled me down, I just sat their thinking of my debate speech that I would say back to any individual who had the audacity to utter that phrase.  And you know what... I heard that phrase FOUR OTHER TIMES that week.  FOUR!  It is like articles, television, and other sources of media that I couldn't have a human debate with were taunting me with such an ignorant phrase.  I know people think that my career is worthless. And the sad part is sometimes I start to believe them.  Teaching doesn't feel like a real, prestigious, career.  In this state, we are paid $500 above the qualifications for Medicaid.  I believe that is by no accident. And although I am grateful that Trent and I have never had to even consider using those options, I have co-workers that have because they cannot support their small families.  Even Trent was paid $15,000 more than me working without any degree.  We are paid so poorly that we begin to think poorly of our profession and ourselves.  So I can see how that phrase became popular.   After much brewing, I found this story and it lighted a little flame of passion inside of me.
 
 
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...) "Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could. I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time (or 6 hours in my case) when their parents can't make them sit for 5 minutes without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental... You want to know what I make?"

(She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table....)

  I make kids wonder ... I make them question.

  I make them criticize ... I make them apologize and mean it.

  I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.

  I teach them to write and make them write ... I make them read, read, read.

  I make them show all their work in math. 
 
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know in English while preserving their unique cultural identity & I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.

  I make my students stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, because we live in the United States of America.

Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life.

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.....) "Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant.

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?"
 
There will always be critics.  I believe that homemaking is the best form of teaching.  And I hear all day long the critics of homemakers. However, what can be better than influencing the life of a child?  Whether it is your own or a student, whether it is positive or negative,  the impact WE make is unchangeable.  And if it was me, I would only trust those who are TRYING to be patient, humble, reasonable, understanding, and kind with that responsibility.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment