Menu Nav

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Rejected - Part 1 of 3

This is a story about a boy and a girl.  A girl who had a five year plan – that didn’t involve a boy.  And a boy – who was charming, persistent, and patient.  This is the story about the Thompsons.  Now, before I retell the events I want to say a few things.  Some people may not agree with some of our decisions.  Everyone has a different love story.  We followed the Lord and our hearts.  And I would not change any part of our history.
My whole life, I basically had one goal – get into BYU. My whole life was centered on this goal.  Everything I did at school, extra-curricular activities was centered on this goal. I was constantly looking at their criteria and making sure I did everything they wanted. I did not apply right after high school.  My GPA was average because I had taken so many honors classes - and recieved mostly B's. Which usually means an "A" because it is weighted.  However, BYU doesn’t take a weighted GPA.  Therefore, it brought my GPA down.  I also realized that if I went to a community college I would get my Associates Degree in one year because I had been taking college courses since I was a junior in high school – including summers.  Also, I had heard that it was easier to get into BYU as a transfer student.  Perfect! So, again, I did everything to prepare for BYU.  I was on institute board council, 3.9 GPA, excellent letters of recommendation – you get the picture.  I even went so far as to not seriously date any guy because, “I am going to BYU next year and I don’t want a long distance relationship.”  So you can imagine my abhorrence when I received my rejection letter. Literally I felt my dreams had been crushed.  I know – dramatic.
I received my rejection letter in the morning/afternoon.  But a few days ago, I had consented to a blind date with a boy named Trent Thompson for that night.  He had come home from his mission just two days before our date.  “Perfect,” I thought.  “He will be this awkward, returned missionary and I get to corrupt him and make him feel totally uncomfortable.”  I know – I am awful.  But seriously, newly returned missionaries are SO awkward.  It’s adorable.  Because it was a blind date, I looked him up on Facebook (didn’t they invent Facebook for this reason?) Ladies and gentlemen, I swear I thought I was going on a date with a 12 year old.  I think I asked his friend like 3 times, “How old is he? Are you sure?”  I wasn’t in the mood to go on a date – not when my hopes and dreams and been crushed just 6 hours ago.  But I wasn’t the type to back out the day of a date either. 
Later that night, there was a knock at my door.  It was the guy who had set us up on the date, Wesley.  I was slightly confused because Trent wasn’t there.  But apparently he had better things to do than pick up his date.  Instead, he sent Wesley and decided to meet us at Wesley's house. (Not that I am judgmental or bitter ;) I remember walking into Wesley’s house.  I met a few people and exchanged “Hello” and then I turned the corner.  Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome was standing right in front of me.  My first thought was, “He’s cute.  At least he doesn’t look like he is 12 – maybe 16.”  I think the first thing we did was shake hands - again awkward.  To make the situation worse everyone was quietly watching us.  Nothing incredible transpired over the night.  We did have a lot of fun togehter.  He wasn’t awkward at all, surprisingly.  We had pizza, did a scavenger hunt at D.I., and played darts at Wesley’s house.  He made me laugh and honestly I forgot that I had even been denied to BYU.  He dropped me off, we hugged, and then I didn’t hear from him again for three weeks…

 Pictures from our first date....

We had PIZZA

 Trent saw me in my underwear ;)

Of course we won...

1 comment: