Menu Nav

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Just Around the Corner

A few days ago during church, I was reminded of an incident that I had forgotten.  I wasn't going to share it, but today Mr. Thompson shared a quote with me.
 
"We are like mountain climbers, bound to each other as children of God.  I thought how Satan must laugh when we push each other down - by faultfinding criticism, name-calling, and labeling- when part of our purpose in mortality is to learn to lift each other up."
- President Eyering 1983
 
Don't you just love that quote! Gah! So hopefully hearing this story is a pick-me-up for someone out there.
 
Flashback to about 3 years go.  I was asked to sing a duet in our Singles Ward. The Singles Ward is where 19-30 year old young adults gather together and go to church and do activities.  Basically, it is a BLAST.  I absolutely loved it.  Well, I had been in a ward for only a few months and was asked to sing a duet with another individual (who was a music teacher). Oh goodness, I was a nervous wreck.  I only do well singing in extremely large groups - and even then it’s debatable. Even worse, there was going to be a sea of cute men staring at me.  And in my mind, I pictured them judging my singing capabilities - holding scoring cards with 0's and 1's.  Dramatic.... of course. But it was still a fear.  A few days before the performance, I begged my parents to come and support me my Mom and Dad told me they desperately wanted to come and support me sing.  I was ecstatic.  I had a face I could focus on and block out the others. I would have someone who could make me feel confident.  I had my own silent cheering section. I was ready.
Well, the big day came.  I was sweating bullets and yawning like crazy (when I get extremely nervous, I just yawn -- weird). I looked for my parents among all the people and could not find them.  I was getting nervous, but I knew they would be there.  They had never let me down before! Well, basically, they didn't show up.  I sang and totally blew it (or at least that is what I think - Mr. Thompson says differently). I was devastated, humiliated, and wanted to cry.  When the service was over, I went out to the foyer. To my amazement, my parents stood there beaming.  Apparently, they had been late and didn't want to disrupt the service, so they decided to listen in the foyer instead (there are speakers in the foyer so they could hear everything).  My mother comforted me and told me all the things I did well. My dad told me how proud he was of me.  Basically, they stopped me from jumping off a cliff.
 
A few days later, I was thinking about this incident and it hit me.  There is a parallel between this incident and our relationships with our Heavenly Father. He is always there.  But maybe he is outside in the foyer, listening intently to every word we say and do.  He is just patiently waiting until after the service (trial, decision, etc.) so he can calm our souls and give us the encouragement we need. During trials, we might feel alone.  I know I did singing at church that day.  However, my parents were literally feet away from me.  Just like our Heavenly Father is literally with us through every step of our lives.  He is cheering for us and ready to calm our souls when needed.
 
So if you are feeling alone, please don't.  I am rooting for you!  Heavenly Father is rooting for you!
"Don't you quit. You keep walking, you keep trying, there is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon. Some come late. Some don't come until heaven. But for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be alright in the end. Trust God and believe in Good Things to Come." - Jeffrey R Holland
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You're the CUTEST! I miss you. I just got on my blog to update some things and your blog came up first. What a great post, thanks for your words. I hope life is going well for you. :) -Cathryn

    ReplyDelete